This Wednesday’s U.S. Navy Band concert at Rockville High School has been cancelled due to the government shutdown.
We will be working with the band to reschedule the concert in Spring 2014, and will announce a date as soon as we have one.
We apologize for any inconvenience!
The United States Navy Band will present a free concert here at RHS on Wednesday, October 16th at 7:00pm! The United States Navy Band is the premier wind ensemble of the U.S. Navy and has been performing public concerts and participating in high-profile events for over 85 years. Recognized as one of the finest wind ensembles in the world, the Concert Band is in constant demand by the nation's foremost musical education organizations. We hosted them in 2012, and many of you who attended that concert have been asking when they would be back. It is my goal to fill the Auditorium for the concert! (With that in mind I am looking for a couple of parents who can help me publicize this concert to the local community. Please let me know if you can help!)
Check out http://www.navyband.navy.mil for more information on the Navy Band, and feel free to distribute the attached flyer!
Good morning! As the year is winding down I just want to remind you of a few items we still have on the calendar: - All students who are performing with the Band at Graduation, and who are not currently in Symphonic Band class, should plan to be in rehearsal during 4th period on Friday, May 31st and Monday, June 3rd. - The Info Sheet for Graduation was distributed yesterday in class. An electronic copy is attached below. Please take note of the deadlines for informing me of seniors who DO want to ride the bus with us and/or underclassmen who will NOT be riding the bus with us.
- Clearance for Students in Grades 9-11 will begin on Monday, June 3rd. All students must complete their Clearance with me by Friday, June 7th. Clearance checklists were distributed in class and via email a couple of weeks ago. Please let me know if you need an additional checklist!
- The Inaugural RHS Instrumental Alumni Concert is this Saturday, June 1st at 7pm in the Auditorium. We’ve got alums going as far back as the class of 2004…some who are now professional musicians and some who haven’t picked up an instrument since they graduated! Come out and see over 80 RHS Alumni musicians take the stage for a fun evening of reunion, camaraderie and music!
- Our final FORM meeting of the school year will be Monday, June 10th at 7pm in Room 1084. Please come out and help us wrap up our business for the year! We are also still looking for a parent to take over as the Secretary for the 2013-2014 school year. Please let me or Holly Shropshire (firstname.lastname@example.org
) know if you are interested.
- The annual Booster Club Mulch Sale is tomorrow! All Marching Band members are required to work at least one shift. Please visit http://www.signupgenius.com/go/mulch1 ASAP to sign up for a shift (look for the “Student Volunteers” sections of the page). Parents: You can sign up to help too!
- Our monthly FORM meeting is Monday, 4/8 at 7pm in Room 1084. We’ll be discussing the Pot Luck Dinner as soliciting nominations for officers for 2013-2014. We have several great senior parents who will be leaving the organization, including an officer, and we need more great parents to step up to fill their shoes!
- Pit Orchestra will be ramping up over the next few weeks as we get closer to the weekend of the shows. Next week, we have rehearsal Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2:30 until 5:00.
- Spring Trip participants: Please see the attached file for information about ordering group photos and t-shirts. The deadline for orders is Wednesday, 4/10.
- Students who are sitting in with an instrumental ensemble should plan to attend the appropriate class rehearsal(s) on Tuesday, 4/9.
- Pit Orchestra: Rehearsal this week is TUESDAY, 2:30-5:00pm.
- The annual RHS Chamber Concert is TONIGHT at 7pm at the Barnes & Noble in the Montrose Crossing Shopping Center. You’ll hear solo & small ensemble performances from several of our instrumental and choral students, as well as a special performance from Mr. Barnes & Ms. Tauber! This performance also kicks off a fundraiser for the junior class to raise money in order to have their graduation ceremonies at Strathmore in June 2014. A portion of all sales in Barnes & Noble (except Starbucks) will be donated to the junior class, as long as you mention their code, which is 11043601. You can also use the code for purchases at the Barnes & Noble website between 2/26 & 3/2.
- MCPS Solo & Ensemble Festival is this weekend. Students performing solos will be adjudicated in Saturday, 3/2, while students participating in ensembles will be adjudicated on Friday, 3/1. Adjudication times for all performers have been distributed in class.
- Info sheets for Symphonic Band & Symphonic Orchestra county festivals were distributed in class last week. Please get permission slips and trip fees in ASAP!
- Students participating in the Spring Trip will have a MANDATORY rehearsal after school in order to finalize the music for the trip. All band students (including trumpets, trombones, saxes and percussion from Jazz Ensemble) will rehearse on Wednesday, 3/13 from 3pm until 5pm. All orchestra students will rehearse on Monday, 3/18 from 3pm until 5pm.
- Attention orchestra students and parents: I have information available about the “Spring String Thing” sponsored by James Madison University. This is a great camp that takes place over a weekend in May, and gives you the opportunity to perform some great music with hundreds of orchestra students throughout the Mid-Atlantic region! Several RHS students (both current students and alums) have attended this camp in the past and have had many positive things to say about it. Students can ask me for a packet or visit http://www.jmu.edu/music/workshops_events/sst/
for more info.
- Thursday 3/7: Pit Orchestra Rehearsal 2:30-5:00pm - Thursday 3/7: RHS Music Night at Mama Lucia’s in Olney 5-9pm (make sure you take a flyer with you!) - Monday 3/11: FORM Meeting 7:00pm - Tuesday 3/12: Symphonic Orchestra at County Festival - Wednesday 3/13: Mandatory Rehearsal for all Band students going on Spring Trip 3:00-5:00pm - Thursday 3/14: Pit Orchestra Rehearsal 2:30-5:00pm - Monday 3/18: Mandatory Rehearsal for all Orchestra students going on Spring Trip 3:00-5:00pm - Tuesday 3/19: Symphonic Band at County Festival - Tuesday 3/19: Pit Orchestra Rehearsal 2:30-5:00pm - Wednesday 3/20-Monday 3/25: SPRING TRIP!
The Montgomery County Honors Bands and Honors Orchestras Program held its Gala Concert at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School last Saturday night.
Congratulations to the following students who participated, representing Rockville High School:
Junior Honors String Orchestra:
Sarah Hoffman, violin
Senior All-County String Orchestra:
Danny Hoffman, viola
Annika Kushner, cello
Vibhu Someshwar, violin
Senior Honors Band:
Zac Al-Radiedeh, Euphonium
Liyi Li, piano
Zachary Zweig, horn
It was a great concert!
Attached are the info sheets for:
- This Friday’s trip to the RHS vs. RM football game
- Next Saturday’s competition at Towson University (State Championships!)
Hard copies will be distributed at this evening’s rehearsal.
We still needs lots of help for these last few events. If you haven’t been able to help yet this year please think about stepping in now!
For Friday’s away trip to RM:
- Chaperones/Pit Crew (2) (not a lot to move for this but we still need a few parents)
- Equipment Drivers (1-2)
For next Friday’s Home Game (which is also Senior Night…so we really need non-Senior parents to step up here!)
- Pit Crew (1)
- Stands Help (4)
- Videographer (1)
For next Saturday’s Competition:
- Ice (1)
- Videographer (1)
Attached you will find the info sheet for Saturday’s competition at Watkins Mill HS.
We still need 3 parents to volunteer on pit crew, as well as a videographer. If you can help, please sign up ASAP at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CABAD292-rhsmarching
Anyone who signs up as a videographer, trip chaperone or pit crew gets into the competition for free! For videographer, you simply need to be able to push two buttons on a Flip camera….it’s very easy!
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Here’s your weekly update of upcoming events and info for the RHS Music Department! I have broken this down into 2 sections: Marching Band and All Other Ensembles
- Guard Sectional 2:30-4:30pm
- Percussion Sectional 4:30-5:15pm
- Full Rehearsal 5:30-8:00pm (drill for Land of Make Believe and Echano)
- Guard Sectional 2:30-4:30pm
- Percussion Sectional 4:30-5:15pm
- Full Rehearsal 5:30-8:00pm (drill for Echano and music for Closer)
- Watkins Mill Competition. Info Sheet will follow in a separate email (hard copies distributed at tomorrow’s rehearsal). We still need parents to help with Pit Crew. Please sign up through our sign up genius at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CABAD292-rhsmarching
- Video review at lunch in my room
- Tuesday 10/16: Regular sectional/rehearsal schedule
- Thursday 10/18: Regular sectional/rehearsal schedule
- Friday 10/19: Homecoming football game (note: There is no school this day but we will follow a normal game day schedule)
All Other Ensembles:
- Many students still have not completed the online information form and/or their equipment check. Please check Edline (both are listed assignments in the grade report) and complete as necessary.
- Our monthly FORM (Friends of Rockville Music) meeting is TONIGHT, 10/8 at 7pm in Room 1084 (my classroom). We had a great turn out for the September meeting, and we'd like to see even more new faces this month. If you have a child in the band, orchestra, jazz or choral program at RHS, then you've heard about the spring music trip to Disney World! We'll discuss that trip at the FORM meeting, plus we'll be talking about the wreath and poinsettia sale, which will help raise money for the trip to Disney. Questions? Please contact Holly Shropshire at email@example.com
- Scale quizzes in all classes on Friday, 10/12. SB, CB and JE will be quizzed on Concert Bb. SO and CO will be quizzed on D Major.
- I have information for two music competitions: The United States Air Force Band’s Young Artist Competition (for woodwinds) and the City of Gaithersburg Young Artist Competition and Concert Program (for vocal, woodwind, brass, string & piano artists). Contact me by the end of the week if you would like more information.
- Friday 10/19: Selected Chorus members performing at Maryland Music Educators Association meeting
- Monday 10/22: Restaurant fundraiser night at Aspen Hill Panera (6-9pm)
- Friday 10/26: Wreath/Poinsettia sale begins