Big Noise from Winnetka:
Song For My Father:
Lester Leaps In:
Welcome to the first edition of my updates and announcements for the 2014-2015 school year! My hope is to send an update email once per week through the school year. For the first part of the year this email will have two parts: General announcements for everyone and announcements specific to Marching Band.
- I am still missing online information forms, instrument contracts and uniform contracts from a number of students. Please try to get those in this week!
- Next scale quiz is Friday 10/3. Band students are responsible for Concert Bb & F. String students are responsible for D & G Major.
- Equipment Check is this Wednesday, 9/24. Students are expected to have all equipment appropriate for their instrument as listed on Page 10 of the Instrumental Music Handbook. You can view the handbook here (and I have hard copies in my classroom).
- Tonight’s restaurant night at Panera has been postponed. A new date will be announced soon.
- Students who are interested in retaking their playing test must let me know by the end of the month, and students who want to retake their scale quiz from Friday must let me know before the next scale quiz (on 10/3).
- Letters were distributed for our Spring Trip to Nashville last week (an electronic copy is here). The deadline to submit a deposit for the trip is Friday 10/3.
- Our Innisbrook fundraiser is underway! Orders and money are due Friday 10/3.
Marching Band Announcements:
- Schedule for the next week:
o Tuesday 9/23: Full rehearsal 5:30-8pm (review all music and drill for Homecoming….learn new stand tunes)
o NO SECTIONALS OR REHEARSAL Wednesday 9/24 or Thursday 9/25
o Friday 9/26: Pep Rally (report to my room 8th period….wear polo shirts), Percussion Sectional 2:30-3:30pm, Homecoming game (4:00 rehearsal)
o Monday 9/29: Video review at lunch
- Don’t forget your money for your Homecoming and competition meals tomorrow!
- As was mentioned at Thursday’s rehearsal we have been invited to perform at the MCPS State of the Schools event on 11/11. Please keep that date open and plan to have rehearsal on Thursday 11/6.
- I am looking for some volunteers who would like to be a part of the UMD Pregame show at the MD/Ohio State game on Saturday 10/4. I will be asking for a final volunteer count at tomorrow’s rehearsal. Please let me know if you’re interested or want more details.
- FYI: Holly Shropshire is taking the Snack Bar volunteer names from the Marching Band signup genius and adding them to the Booster Club's signup genius so that the Boosters know who is coming to help in the snack bar. If you do happen to sign up and then have to back out please let her know!
- PS: We still need lots of help for this week’s game! Please visit http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f084cabad292-rhsmarching3 to sign up.
The year has really gotten off to an excellent start. Vocally, the students are chiming into their instrument, the voice, with a lot of care and precision.
The chorus is doing a fund raiser to acquire t-shirts. We are asking each family to donate $16.50 towards the cost of the t-shirts. This will give the chorus another outfit to wear as a chorus. We will wear the t-shirts with blue jeans or kakis. Checks should be made out to Rockville High School. All monies were due by September 15, 2014, so please get them in as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (301)517-5590.
Ronald D. Johnson,
Director of Vocal and Choral Activities
Rockville High School
Jazz Ensemble members: Here are the videos you need to complete the homework assignment over the weekend:
Sister Sadie: http://youtu.be/_DZA7AfCmfM
My Funny Valentine: http://youtu.be/ccG7L7ZZZhs
Beauty & the Beast: http://youtu.be/Lu90TwXy6Cc
Granada Smoothie: http://youtu.be/Wd8pOcVse6s
MCPS has moved our band festival to Wednesday, 3/19.
Sit-in members of Symphonic Band: Please plan to attend rehearsal during second period on Tuesday, 3/18.
Everyone in Symphonic Band: We will follow the same schedule and procedures on Wednesday that were originally in place for tomorrow.
This Wednesday’s U.S. Navy Band concert at Rockville High School has been cancelled due to the government shutdown.
We will be working with the band to reschedule the concert in Spring 2014, and will announce a date as soon as we have one.
We apologize for any inconvenience!
The United States Navy Band will present a free concert here at RHS on Wednesday, October 16th at 7:00pm! The United States Navy Band is the premier wind ensemble of the U.S. Navy and has been performing public concerts and participating in high-profile events for over 85 years. Recognized as one of the finest wind ensembles in the world, the Concert Band is in constant demand by the nation's foremost musical education organizations. We hosted them in 2012, and many of you who attended that concert have been asking when they would be back. It is my goal to fill the Auditorium for the concert! (With that in mind I am looking for a couple of parents who can help me publicize this concert to the local community. Please let me know if you can help!)
Check out http://www.navyband.navy.mil for more information on the Navy Band, and feel free to distribute the attached flyer!
As the year is winding down I just want to remind you of a few items we still have on the calendar:
- All students who are performing with the Band at Graduation, and who are not currently in Symphonic Band class, should plan to be in rehearsal during 4th period on Friday, May 31st and Monday, June 3rd.
- The Info Sheet for Graduation was distributed yesterday in class. An electronic copy is attached below. Please take note of the deadlines for informing me of seniors who DO want to ride the bus with us and/or underclassmen who will NOT be riding the bus with us.
- Clearance for Students in Grades 9-11 will begin on Monday, June 3rd. All students must complete their Clearance with me by Friday, June 7th. Clearance checklists were distributed in class and via email a couple of weeks ago. Please let me know if you need an additional checklist!
- The Inaugural RHS Instrumental Alumni Concert is this Saturday, June 1st at 7pm in the Auditorium. We’ve got alums going as far back as the class of 2004…some who are now professional musicians and some who haven’t picked up an instrument since they graduated! Come out and see over 80 RHS Alumni musicians take the stage for a fun evening of reunion, camaraderie and music!
- Our final FORM meeting of the school year will be Monday, June 10th at 7pm in Room 1084. Please come out and help us wrap up our business for the year! We are also still looking for a parent to take over as the Secretary for the 2013-2014 school year. Please let me or Holly Shropshire (firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you are interested.
1-10 of 110