How do I qualify to participate in this trip?
- You must be enrolled in a music ensemble class for the Spring 2017 semester. Exceptions must be pre-approved by Mr. Barnes or Ms. Hein before the first payment is made!
- You must be academically eligible at the end of the second marking period.
- You must not have any behavior problems in any classes during the 2016-2017 school year.
- You must settle all financial obligations with the school. (For obligation info contact Ms. Portillo, RHS Financial Secretary, at 301-517-8293.)
- You must submit all forms and fees in a timely manner.
- You must submit all forms and fees in a timely manner.
What is the itinerary?
- We will meet Wednesday evening (4/5) to load the buses and depart RHS around 5pm. A boxed dinner from Subway will be served on the bus after we leave the school.
- We will drive through the night, arriving in Orlando Thursday morning (breakfast stop en route). We will go straight to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure and spend the rest of the day there. Lunch and dinner will be in the parks. We will check into the hotel later Thursday evening after we are done in the parks.
- Friday is performance day! Breakfast will be at the hotel, and lunch will be in the parks. We will also have dinner at Medieval Times.
- Saturday we will have some more time at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Breakfast will be at the hotel, and lunch and dinner will be in the parks.
- We will check out of the hotel Sunday morning after breakfast (in the hotel), and drive back to Rockville (lunch and dinner stops en route).
- We will arrive back in Rockville very late Sunday or very early Monday.
How much will the trip cost?
- Estimated Costs per person are $750, assuming six students to a room, or three chaperones to a room.
- Rooms are "suite-style" with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa.
- Prices may change as we finalize transportation needs for our trip.
- By default, students will be placed six to a room, and chaperones three to a room.
What does the price include?
- Roundtrip bus transportation from RHS to Orlando, and all necessary bus transportation while in Orlando.
- Three nights of hotel accommodations at the Buena Vista Suites Resort Hotel.
- Admission to all sites that the group visits.
- ALL meals from dinner on Wednesday, April 5 through dinner on Sunday, April 9!
- Participation in the Universal STARS Performance Program.
- Souvenir sport sack.
- Commemorative trip DVD with photos from the trip.
- All hotel taxes and gratuities.
- Private hotel security for the floors we are using each night.
When are payments due?
- Make all checks payable to Rockville High School
- $200 Deposit due by 11/11/16 to hold a spot. With this deposit you must also submit:
- $300 Payment due by 12/16/16. With this payment you must also submit:
- Final Balance (TBD…around $250) due by 2/10/17
What is the refund policy?
- All cancellations must be made in writing to Mr. Barnes (preferred method is via email to email@example.com), and must include an address where the school can mail a refund check (if applicable).
- If the fees associated with cancellation are more than the student or chaperone has paid to that point, then the student/chaperone will still be responsible for the remaining balance!
- Any student who loses eligibility to go on the trip for academic or behavioral reasons will still be subject to this cancellation policy!
- Academic eligibility will be determined by grades at the end of the second marking period.
- Any student or chaperone who cancels their trip on or before 1/3/17 will receive a full refund of any payments made to that point minus an $85 cancellation fee, plus any non-refundable payments made on the student’s/chaperone’s behalf.
- Any student or chaperone who cancels their trip after 1/3/17, but on or before 2/2/17, is eligible to receive a 50% refund of the total trip cost.
- Any student or chaperone who cancels their trip after 2/2/17 will not be eligible for a refund.
What if I need financial assistance to go on the trip?
It is our goal to ensure that everyone who wants to go on the trip is able to go regardless of their financial situation. FORM takes on a number of fundraisers each year to generate a scholarship fund for students with financial need. A financial aid application is available here (as part of the initial packet announcing the trip) and is due by Friday, November 11. Please do not hesitate to speak to Mr. Barnes or Ms. Hein if you have extenuating circumstances. What are the roles & responsibilities for chaperones?
- Taking attendance at specified times throughout the trip.
- Maintaining order and discipline at all times and at all locations.
- Assisting in loading/unloading of equipment upon each arrival/departure/performance.
- Immediately informing Directors of any serious concerns that need to be addressed.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Directors.
Will there be any kind of orientation for students and parents?
- Pre-Trip Orientation for students will take place during normally scheduled classes during the week of March 27, 2017.
- There will also be a Pre-Trip Orientation for chaperones, parents, and students on Monday, April 3, 2017 at 7:00pm in Room 1084.
- Both orientations will include:
- Overview of trip objectives.
- Overview of trip itinerary.
- Expectations for student behavior.
- Roles and responsibilities of the chaperones.
- Overview of travel, hotel, and meal accommodations.
- Q&A session.
- Distribution of any remaining forms to be completed.
How often does the Music Department take a trip?
While various ensembles travel locally throughout the year for festivals/competitions/etc.... we aim to take a large-scale inclusive trip every other year in the spring. Since we are traveling in April, 2017, we most likely will not take another major trip until Spring 2019.
Are there any one day trips like the Wood Middle School trip to HersheyPark or Kings Dominion?
We typically do not take trips like this one so that students can have unique experiences at the middle school and high school levels.
Is it typical for freshmen (or sophomores or juniors or seniors) to go on this trip?
It is common for students from all classes to go on the trip. The roster for our last trip was almost split evenly among all grades.
Which ensembles go on the trip? How many people from my ensemble go on the trip?
We aim to take one band, one orchestra, one jazz ensemble and one choral group on each trip. So, for example, if we have two band classes that year we will combine students from those two classes who are going on the trip into one band (and likewise with the other ensembles). We have used this method for every trip since 2004, and we have always had good-sized and well-balanced groups to show off the wonderful musical talent we have here at RHS!
It is important to note that we must have good instrumentation for an ensemble to travel! For example, if the only jazz students to sign up for the trip are a saxophone, a guitar, and a trumpet, then we will most likely not take a jazz group on the trip. We will try to integrate those students into other ensembles that will be performing.
Does the marching band perform on the trip?
Since marching band is a fall activity that ends in November, and our trips are typically in the Spring, we do not have that particular group perform on the trip. Students in the marching band who wish to go on the trip should make every effort to enroll in a band, orchestra, jazz or chorus class in the spring. Please speak to Mr. Barnes or Ms. Hein ASAP if you have extenuating circumstances!
What if I have a questions that hasn't been answered here?
Contact Mr. Barnes via:
Or check www.rockvillemusic.org for the latest trip updates!