Discussed Mendelssohn, Program Music & Berlioz
Reading Guides for Nationalism, Tchaikovsky & Smetana
In addition to the reading guides that are due on Monday, please take a few moments to listen to the excerpts provided in the book for Mendelssohn and Berlioz, since we didn’t get to listen to them in class today. You can listen to them while you complete your reading guides!
You can visit http://connect.mcgraw-hill.com/connect/shortUrl.do?accessUrl=p_barnes_2013-2014_1 to access the player we’ve been using in class lately that includes the listening guides. You’ll need to click on the “Register Now” button on the right side of the page and complete the registration process to access the player.
Once you register and login:
- Click on the textbook image on the right side of the page
- Using the “Reading” tab, navigate to the appropriate chapter (for example: the Mendelssohn chapter)
- At the end of the chapter you’ll see the listening outline for the excerpt. Click on the “launch” button
- The listening outline will open and a box will pop up. Click on the “ok, got it!” button
- Read the background, and then click on the “Listening” tab
- Press the play button and follow along!
Please write down a few comments about each of the excerpts and be prepared to share in class on Monday.
One last thing: MCPS has acquired a trial subscription to the online Grove Music Dictionary (now called Oxford Music Online)! This is a great resource for your Musical Links Investigations! See me for more info on how to access the content.