FORM Minutes

April 2016 Minutes

posted Sep 25, 2016, 1:48 PM by Phil Barnes


March 2016 Minutes

posted Sep 25, 2016, 1:44 PM by Phil Barnes


January 2016 Minutes

posted Sep 25, 2016, 1:32 PM by Phil Barnes


December 2015 Minutes

posted Feb 2, 2016, 4:32 PM by Phil Barnes


October 2015 Minutes

posted Nov 19, 2015, 2:01 PM by Phil Barnes


September 2015 Minutes

posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:24 PM by Phil Barnes   [ updated Oct 29, 2015, 8:54 AM by Phil Barnes ]


September 2014 Minutes

posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:12 AM by Phil Barnes

Rockville High School

Friends of Rockville Music—Minutes

September 8, 2014

 

Attendance:  Phil Barnes, Ron Johnson, Susan Townsend-Gray, Damaris Richardson, Christine Manor, Holly Shropshire, Beth Peterson, Janet Lawson, Don Hakman, and Wendy Hoffman.

 

President’s Report:  Susan Townsend-Gray greeted everyone.  She went to the 9th grade parent meeting.  She noted that it was not a very strong turnout. 

Vice President’s Report:  Demaris Richardson reported that September 22 will be the first FORM restaurant night.  It will take place at Panera and 20 % of the sales will go to FORM.  October 6 will be the Chipotle fundraiser at Wintergreen Plaza.  FORM will earn 50 % of the proceeds.  November 12 will be an Urban BBQ evening.

Secretary’s report: Terri Beard was not able to be at the meeting, so Beth Peterson took her place.  Minutes from the June FORM meeting will be discussed and put forth for approval during the October meeting.

Treasurer’s report:    7 memberships came in.  Christine Manor voiced concern with the way that FORM does its fundraising.  With the Wreath and Poinsettia sale as well as the Innesbrook wrapping, some of the money earned goes into the FORM general account and a portion goes into the account of the individual who did the selling in order to offset some of the expenses of the trip.  Christine is concerned that this system may not align with the legal framework of non-profit organizations.

Director’s Report:  Ron Johnson reported that the choral program is off to a strong start with balanced sections.  He has just one “sit-in.”  More tuxedos are needed and a couple more gowns.  He is looking for a seamstress to work with.  The choral cluster concert is scheduled for January 14.

Phil Barnes has 39 students in Marching Band.  There will be an away game at Seneca Valley on October 2 that is planned.  The school year began with 40 students having schedule conflicts with instrumental music classes.  Phil explained that Rockville High School has a new scheduling system with some obvious kinks.  Ms. Benson has assured him that she will work to ensure these conflicts don’t happen in the future.  The winter concerts are scheduled for December 4th and 9th which is a bit earlier than in years past.  Phil reported that he is working with the County Jazz Band comprised of 7 through 9th graders.  He has a conflict with the next FORM meeting. 

Old Business:  Fundraiser review is needed.  Susan will find out from the Booster Club how the Mulch sale runs in regard to group proceeds and individual credit.

Pizza needs to be ordered and paid for by FORM for Wood Middle School night.

New Business:  Fundraiser possibility with Rockland’s BBQ and grilling company

How to handle deposits

Seamstress for choir robes

Susan would like someone to take on membership.  She will send home membership forms with each child involved with the music program. 

The October meeting will in part be dedicated to the Spring Trip. 

8:00 Meeting finished.

June 2014 Minutes

posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:12 AM by Phil Barnes

Rockville High School

Friends of Rockville Music—Minutes

June 9, 2014

 

Attendance:  Phil Barnes, Ron Johnson, Holly Shropshire, Wendy Hoffman, Tracey Lankler, Beth Peterson, Chris Emond, Janet Lawson, Joyce Rosenthal, Tracey Miller, Eve Fernandes, Christine Manor, Terri Beard, Susan Townsend-Gray, Damaris Richardson

President’s Report:  Holly  Shrophshire  welcomed everyone.  New people were introduced.  Holly thanked the outgoing officers and welcomed the new officers.  Holly reported that she was in contact with a person from Chipotle to settle on a date for a restaurant night next school year.  Holly has also been in contact with Subway for a restaurant night during marching band camp.  Mr. Barnes will be a server for this fundraising event.  The date was set for Wednesday, August 6.

Secretary’s report:  Beth Peterson presented the report from the May meeting.  The minutes were accepted.

Treasurer’s report:    Tracey Lanker reported on membership dues and donations. The second page is report of each fundraiser and how much FORM earns with each one.  The third page is a list of income and expenses.    

Vice President’s Report:  Wendy Hoffman received the check from the most recent Villa Maya fundraiser.    Tom Hormby would be interested in having the raking job continue next school year.  

Director’s Report:  Ron Johnson set vocal workshop for June 25 and August 20.  He is sending out approximately 240 letters to students entering 6, 7 and 8th grade.  Ron would like to close the gap in the middle school choral program.  He would like FORM to contribute to the snacks that will be served at the workshops.  Also, he is looking forward to the cluster choral concert.  Thursday will be a meeting of the cluster vocal teachers to work out the details.

Phil Barnes thanked everyone for the potluck.  Mrs. Flores will be reimbursed $68 for the decorations she provided.  Phil reported that all the students who went to state and solo festival received high ratings.  He also reported on a successful commencement.  He is busy cleaning up the music department from a busy school year.

Old Business:  There was a discussion on ways to raise the profile of the music department.  People would like to see more articles in the Rampage cover the arts.   

New Business:  Directors were asked if there are things on their wish lists.  The ending balance is over $8000.  Barnes needs repairs done on instruments.  $2,000 is needed.  $690 for new cellos and $1,375 for new xylophones.  Fifty bow ties and cummerbunds are needed to outfit the boys in the instrumental groups.  The cost for that purchase is 500 dollars.  Mr. Kubasik, representing the Rockville Booster club, came to the FORM meeting to present a $5,000 check for the Marching Band account.  FORM voted to give Mr. Johnson $1200 for uniforms and to give Mr. Barnes money for the repairs and purchases he needs. 

FORM set aside money for drum major academy.  RHS is sending one person this summer and voted to give that person a half scholarship. 

There will be a fundraising meeting this summer. 

8:15 Meeting finished.

May 2014 Minutes

posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:16 PM by Phil Barnes

Rockville High School

Friends of Rockville Music—Minutes

May 12, 2014

 

Attendance:  Phil Barnes, Ron Johnson, Holly Shropshire, Wendy Hoffman, Tracey Lankler, Beth Peterson, Janet Lawson, Joyce Rosenthal, Al Taylor, Christine Manor, Susan Townsend Gray, Damaris Richardson, Pam Loebach, Terri Beard and MacKenzie Beard

 

President’s Report:  Holly  Shrophshire began the meeting by thanking people for the gift card donations that were added to the basket raffled off at the two spring concert.  Holly called “Nicholas” at Chipotle to schedule restaurant dates.  She will call Mrs. Gamage to set restaurant dates for next school year to avoid over-scheduling with other groups.

Secretary’s report:  Beth Peterson’s  report accepted with corrections.

Treasurer’s report:    Tracey Lanker reported that Amazon brought in $40.10, the Urban Burger fundraiser brought in $170.83, and the spring concerts’ bake sales and raffle brought in $596.03, bringing the total income to $806.96. There were no expenses, and so the ending FORM balance came to $7,580.06. We have a thousand dollars in trip money.

Vice President’s Report:  Wendy Hoffman reported that we did not receive a check from the Boston Market yet. We will hold a fundraiser at Villa Maya and Menchies on May 28, despite the fact that Menchies does not usually bring in much revenue (usually weather-dependent results). We will have to consider whether or not do continue with it next year. 

Director’s Report:  Ron Johnson  is looking forward to the Tuesday night commencement.  He also reported that it is Rockville’s turn to host the March 31st Middle School Festival. 

Phil Barnes reports that he is holding drum major auditions.  He also shared that the Marching Band show is entitled “A Walk  Through an Art gallery—Pictures at an Exhibition.” The Music department was well represented at the Mulch sale.  The Symphonic band is doing graduation.  The IB Music class is doing group presentations.  Instrumental classes are doing chamber music.  There are some students going to State Solo and Ensemble Festival.  Seniors will clear with Barnes next week, and underclassmen will clear later.  Barnes is also going to Wood to recruit for marching band.  Barnes is using these last couple of weeks to close up the department.  Financial support for the drum major will be discussed at next FORM meeting. 

Old Business:  Wish list:  Repair money for Barnes and uniform money for Ron.  Tracey will check into the balance we have carried over in years past.  The awards assembly is rather costly.  

New Business: New officers were decided. President: Townsend-Gray. Vice Pres:  Damaris Rickardson. Treasurer: Christine Manor. Secretary: Terri Beard.  Joyce expressed disappointment that the seniors in the jazz band were not recognized in concert.  The top student from each ensemble will be recognized at the senior award assembly. Families need to RSVP for the Potluck, where dinner will be held at 6:30, and awards will be presented at 7:15. There will be a senior-driven slide show where each ensemble is represented, and we will wrap up by 8:30 and then clean up.  The marching band family will be working the snack bars on Wednesday the 21st, and the 5:45 to 9:00 shift is needed.  Seniors are invited to the last FORM meeting to share experiences and hopes.

The dates for the trip are undecided, but March 27th or April 10th and Feb. 13th are possibilities. The musical will be “All Shook Up”—the music of Elvis Presley, and will be the week of March 20th.

8:15 Meeting finished.

April 2014 Minutes

posted Jul 1, 2014, 9:09 AM by Phil Barnes

Rockville High School

Friends of Rockville Music—Minutes

April 7, 2014

 

Attendance:  Phil Barnes, Ron Johnson, Holly Shropshire, Wendy Hoffman, Beth Peterson, Chris Emond, Janet Lawson, Joyce Rosenthal, Arlyn Sanchez, Susan Townsend Gray, and Damaris Richardson

 

President’s Report:  Holly Shropshire welcomed everyone and introduced 8th grade parent Arlyn Sanchez.   The ad for the yearbook was finalized.  Wendy Hoffman feels that the music department is underrepresented in the yearbook and Rampage.  It was suggested that events that occur late in the school year could be added to the yearbook as an addendum as is traditionally done with the prom.  Holly is arranging for a raffle at the spring concert, where there will be a $50 gift card basket for both the choral/jazz and orchestra/band concerts. Chris Emond will donate some more gift cards.  Concerning the Amazon account, Holly cautioned that when making Amazon purchases through the music department website payments have to be done quickly, because when people leave the site, RHS doesn’t get the credit for the purchases.  The After Prom Party (APP) needs photos of music students, which will be displayed at the APP. Bake sale coordinator Maureen Blaussau is coordinating food for the spring concerts. Instrument / luggage tags with the RHS logo will be sold as another fundraiser.     

Secretary’s report:  Beth Peterson’s report was accepted with amendments. 

Treasurer’s report:  Tracey Lanker was not able to be at the meeting, but she prepared a report and Holly presented. Important information includes: the spring concert raffle tickets will sell for a dollar each, Amazon brought in 50 dollars, the trip balance is $1,000 and $6,773.10 is the ending bank balance.

Vice President’s Report:  Wendy Hoffman reported that there is not yet a check from Boston Market.  Tomorrow is the Urban BBQ and Menchies fundraisers, where we will be collecting 10 percent of all sales. The last fundraiser of the year will take place in May and will be at Villa Maya and Menchies. The possibility of a summer car wash could be coupled with a Menchies fundraiser. It was suggested that FORM could do a fundraiser at Subway with Barnes behind the counter. 

Director’s Report:  Ron Johnson reminded everyone that graduation is next month.  The RHS Chorus has chosen the song that they will be singing at the ceremony. This chorus will include seven senior soloists, and original lyrics. Erica Ferguson will lead everyone in the national anthem.  Ron noted that the Choral Festival went well and the chorus received a superior rating. Potluck committees are being formed. Ron is looking forward to the April 29 concert with the Jazz Band.

Phil Barnes relayed that both the symphonic band and orchestra got a superior rating in sight-reading and overall rating of 2 at festival. The symphonic orchestra also went to Delaware for an additional festival, where a clinician worked with them after they played. The field trip included a performance by the University of Delaware music students, as well as sectional rehearsals. Rockville was strong in the festival. A number of students went to solo and ensemble festival.  Each soloist/ensemble received “superior” and “excellent” ratings.  On another note, pit orchestra was successful. The show required almost constant playing.  The music department received a number of emails from community members.  On April 8,  the Army strings are coming in to work with the concert and symphonic orchestras. Drum major auditions will be held later this week, and six students are auditioning.  The spring concerts are on the 24th and 29th.  The Mulch sale is coming soon.  The marching band members are encouraged to work at the sale since the Booster Club supports the marching band. Music awards will be given at the potluck. Awards are point based.  Work done at feeder schools also counts.  Senior awards are usually given at the senior awards night, but the music department is being asked to stream line awards this year.  Mr. Barnes feels that recognizing student achievement is important.    

 

 

Old Business:  Mr. Barnes and Mr. Johnson will be asked to make a “wish list” at next month’s meeting.

New Business: Phil is coordinating the potluck.  Students will prepare the slide show. There will be a sign-up genius to organize the food.  Vanessa’s mom did the decorations last year and may do it again this year.  Nominations for open positions in FORM can go to Holly Shropshire.  Susan will be president next school year.  Christine Manor has been nominated for Treasurer.

8:15 Meeting finished.                                                                                                                      

1-10 of 46